Outdoor advertising is the last type of advertising most business owners think about, yet it is the cheapest and most effective type of advertising! Here are several facts about billboard advertising and how it can benefit you and your business.
- You can’t turn off a billboard… it’s always in your face. Compared to print, TV & radio you can always see your billboard all though you can skip commercials, change channels, or find some other way to avoid hearing or seeing other types of ads.
- More people can view one particular billboard than the super-bowl! (The billboard must be located in a high traffic area like most Interstate billboards.)
- Billboards are viewed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by billions of different people.
- OAAA did a study in 1999 that says people glance at 70% of the billboards they pass. Of these billboards, 63% are actually read. Most other types of media can not compare to this.
- Billboards reach 93% of all Americans.
- Outdoor Advertising costs 80% less than television advertising, 60% less than newspaper ads, and 50% less than radio advertisements.
- There are 53% more automobiles and 102% more road trips over the past 30 years.
- The number of traveling and household vehicles has risen six times faster than the population rate.
- According to a study by Arbitron, people are spending less time reading and watching television because they are spending more time traveling to and from work. The average American is in a car for15 hours per week!
What do I have to do to get a billboard ad up?
1. Find a billboard location: Contact a billboard company to see what they have available in your area.
2. Finalize Locations: Execute contracts to secure billboard locations.
3. Design: Get in touch with the billboard companies art department to discuss / send your ideas.
4. Production: It normally takes a few weeks to get a billboard ad printed and installed – your billboard company will be able to provide you with an exact time frame.